Friday 13 July 2012

Food on Friday #3 Cinnamon Rolls


- Every now and then you have to treat yourself. . right. . . right?!

- This week's Food on Friday is a little more complex than others, but totally worth it. It's not a difficult recipe, it's just time-consuming because of the rising time of the dough.

- I wasn't actually allowed to eat any of these, however I did share one with my mother and they are ace, the best we've managed so far, although we think that along with the nuts there should either be some chopped dates or raisins.



  cinnamon buns 4
(before second rising, they fill all of the gaps eventually!)

I found the recipe at AllRecipes.com, I didnt really make any alterations, except I used some chopped nuts instead of peacans, because we had a package of chopped mixed nuts in the pantry, and I didnt want to go and do any special ingredients for this project.

cinnamon buns 1

Dissolve 1 package of fast action yeast in 1/2 a cup of warm water
While this is beginning to react, heat 1/2 a cup of milk gently in a small saucepan adding 1/4 cup of white sugar, 1/4 cup of butter and 1 teaspoon  of salt stirring until melted & dissolved

cinnamon buns 2


 combine the milk mixture with the yeast mixture, add two beaten eggs to this mixture
Stir in 4 cups of self raising flour, 1 cup at a time.
Pull your dough together & knead for approximately 5 minutes until it becomes particularly elastic to touch.
Lightly oil a bowl, roll your dough in this bowl and set aside in a warm place covered with a damp tea towel, after an hour your dough will have doubled in size.

cinnamon buns 3

melt 3/4 cup of butter and mix with 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, place in the bottom of baking tins - I used two IKEA small roasting tins ( I don't really think this step is needed and if I did it again I would miss it out!)
Roll out your dough paint  1/4 cup of melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 tbsp of cinnamon powder and 1/2 cup of  chopped nuts ( This is where I would have added some dates, I think some grated apple would be nice aswell.)
Roll up your dough into a long sausage shape and cut into rounds - I believe I yeilded 32 overall!
Place into your prepared tins and let rise for an hour, covered with your damp tea towel
Bake at 190 C for 25 minutes.

Good served hot, or cold!




 signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, heeyyyy!
go on . . leave a comment. . you know you want to! (and I want you to really!)